Thursday 3 July 2014

Regent Street


It's really hard to be on a yarn-diet right now.  I keep reminding myself how much I hate working with non-wool yarns; the summery cottons and linens and bamboo blends that make up lighter-weight garments.  Still, sometimes I fail.  


Like when you walk into Liberty and see a sale table.  There was fabric there too!  I might have shattered some eardrums with the squeal I let out.


People here seem to shop professionally.  I was talking to someone in the office last week who started listing all the shops she had been in that weekend (almost everyone has a bit of a sale to make room for the fall lines right now) and she listed all the things she had picked up "for a steal".  It was mind-blowing, especially when you realize how very little closet space there is in this town.    

Outside on Regent Street, where they shut down the street to traffic during summertime Sundays, there was a bus cavalcade, with all the different types of buses that London has used in chronological order.  There is a special kind of person who is just fascinated by this.  It was mostly children.     





Speaking of which, I loved how ghostly and other-worldy this little girl looked while peering out of a vintage bus.








And finally, the first (or last) bus was a horse-drawn one.




Afterwards, a walk though Covent Garden and along the river, with a mission to get to the other side.  



To the Globe Theater!  The replica of the original Shakespeare theater, firmly planted near where the original footprint is, with open air, thatched roof, narrow uncomfortable benches, and authentic performances and costuming.  



The standing-room seats have the best view and are cheap, but, ya know.  STANDING.  For three hours.

They burn incense before the show for added authenticity.  Back in the day, showers were hard to come by.  Overall, it was a very good show- we saw Anthony and Cleopatra, and the acting was fantastic.  The only gripe is sometimes the voices were drown out by a low-flying airplane.  I guess it would be too much to ask to get the flight paths changed for the sake of art.


Then, off to Bloomsbury. There was a weird rainy sculpture outside of one of the "key parks" there.  I quite liked it.





And then on to the British Museum.  I love this place.  It has no airflow though, and I find myself getting sleepy and cranky and uncomfortable in the crowds pretty much right away.  I love the museums here as they are free, and that really makes me feel like I don't have to cram everything in and get your money's worth.






Oh, and a rare badass sighting in the wild:


No comments:

Post a Comment